Exploring the Environmental Benefits of Electric Two-wheelers
Exploring the Environmental Benefits of Electric Two-wheelers


The Environment and Electric Two-wheelers

As the world struggles with rising air pollution and climate change, environmental health is becoming a major concern.

Traditional petrol vehicles are responsible for approximately 75% of carbon monoxide emissions, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Furthermore, the transportation sector accounts for over 55% of Nitrogen Oxide emissions, resulting in 4.6 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.

Electric two-wheelers, such as scooters and motorcycles, maybe a greener alternative to traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.

More than 90% of today’s population is subjected to poor air quality. The government has taken numerous initiatives to reduce air pollution over the years. However, the government’s goal of making India 100% electric in the transportation sector has contributed to an 11% reduction in yearly average PM2.5 (particle pollution) levels.

According to E- Amrit research, electric vehicles can use around 60% of the electrical energy from the grid to power the wheels, whereas petrol and diesel vehicles can only use 17%-21% of the energy contained in the fuel to power the wheels. That’s nearly 80% of waste. Although fully electric vehicles emit no tailpipe emissions, even when power production is taken into account, petrol or diesel vehicles emit nearly three times the carbon dioxide as the average EV. Here are the main reasons why electric two-wheelers are an excellent solution to environmental concerns.

Renewable Energy

Electric two-wheelers run on energy derived from renewable sources. This means that electric two-wheelers have the potential to be completely emission-free and sustainable if powered by renewable energy sources. EVs will have displaced approximately 0.3 Mb/d of oil by 2021. To meet the Net Zero Scenario, EVs would need to replace more than 7 million barrels of oil per day by 2030. By electrifying our electric two-wheelers with renewable energy, we can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable future.

Reduced Emissions

Electric two-wheelers are better for the environment because they produce less pollution than gasoline-powered two-wheelers. Toxic pollutants are emitted into the environment by gasoline-powered vehicles, contributing to air pollution and causing respiratory ailments. Electric two-wheelers, on the other hand, emit no pollutants, making them a safe and environmentally friendly option. EVs emit up to 43% less pollution than traditional fuel-powered vehicles, according to researchers. And, if current trends continue, India will achieve its goal of zero carbon emissions very soon.

Energy Conservation

Electric two-wheelers use less energy than gasoline-powered vehicles. Only 20% of the energy in gasoline is converted into usable energy by gasoline-powered vehicles. The remaining 80% is lost in the form of heat and other forms of energy. Electric two-wheelers, on the other hand, convert more than 90% of the energy stored in their batteries into usable energy to power the vehicle. This means that electric two-wheelers use much less energy and require less fuel to operate, reducing their environmental impact.

Lower Maintenance

Electric two-wheelers are less expensive to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles, which helps the environment. Oil changes, tune-ups, and other automobile maintenance operations generate waste and pollution. Electric two-wheelers, on the other hand, have fewer restrictions. This reduces the amount of trash and pollution generated by the vehicle over its lifetime, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

The way forward

It is no secret that our ecosystem is facing a number of challenges, including climate change and pollution. As individuals, we have a responsibility to care for our planet and contribute to the establishment of a sustainable future.

Making minor changes in our daily lives, such as switching to electric vehicles, can have a significant impact on the environment. Two-wheeled electric vehicles are a viable alternative to traditional gasoline-powered automobiles.

They provide significant environmental benefits, such as zero emissions and increased energy efficiency, as well as other advantages such as lower fuel and maintenance costs. As more people become aware of the environmental and economic benefits of electric two-wheelers, the number of these vehicles on the road may increase in the coming years.

For more EV News Click here

Join All India EV Community on LinkedIn