Metastable Materials: A startup that aims to revolutionize the battery industry
Metastable Materials is a Bengaluru-based startup that was founded by an IIT-Roorkee alumnus, Shubham Vishwakarma, in 2022. The startup is working on innovations for a more sustainable battery ecosystem, using nanotechnology and artificial intelligence.
The problem: The growing demand for batteries and the environmental challenges
Batteries are essential for powering various devices and applications, such as smartphones, laptops, electric vehicles, renewable energy systems, and more. The global battery market is expected to grow from $108 billion in 2019 to $296 billion by 2025.
However, the current battery technologies have several limitations and challenges, such as:
• Low energy density: The amount of energy that can be stored in a given volume or mass of a battery is limited by the materials and chemistry used. This affects the performance and range of devices and vehicles powered by batteries.
• High cost: The production of batteries requires expensive and scarce materials, such as lithium, cobalt, nickel, and graphite. These materials are also subject to price fluctuations and geopolitical risks.
• Environmental impact: The extraction, processing, and disposal of battery materials have negative effects on the environment and human health. For example, mining lithium can cause water pollution and depletion, while disposing of batteries can release toxic substances into the soil and water.
The solution: Metastable Materials’ innovative approach
Metastable Materials is a startup that aims to address these challenges by developing new materials and methods for making batteries more efficient, affordable, and eco-friendly. The startup’s approach is based on two key concepts:
• Nanotechnology: The startup uses nanotechnology to create novel materials that have enhanced properties at the nanoscale. For example, the startup has developed a new material called metastable silicon, which can store 10 times more energy than conventional graphite anodes in lithium-ion batteries.
• Artificial intelligence: The startup uses artificial intelligence to optimize the design and synthesis of new materials. For example, the startup has developed a software platform called MetaAI, which can predict the best conditions and parameters for creating metastable materials.
The impact: Metastable Materials’ vision and achievements
Metastable Materials has a vision to revolutionize the battery industry by creating a circular economy of batteries. This means that the startup wants to make batteries that can be reused, recycled, and regenerated, without compromising on performance or quality.
The startup has already achieved some remarkable milestones, such as:
• Raising $10 million in seed funding from leading investors, such as Sequoia Capital India, Nexus Venture Partners, and Axilor Ventures.
• Filing 15 patents for its metastable materials and MetaAI platform.
• Partnering with major battery manufacturers and users, such as Tata Motors, Mahindra Electric, Reliance Jio, and SunEdison.
• Winning several awards and recognitions, such as the National Startup Award 2023 in the energy category, the NASSCOM Emerge 50 Award 2023 in the deep tech category, and the Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia list 2023 in the industry category.
Metastable Materials is a startup that is making waves in the battery industry with its innovative approach. The startup is working on innovations for a more sustainable battery ecosystem, using nanotechnology and artificial intelligence. The startup was founded by an IIT-Roorkee alumnus, Shubham Vishwakarma, who is passionate about solving the energy and environmental challenges of the world.