According to the India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA)4, the EV industry is predicted to increase at a CAGR of 44% between 2020 and 2027, with annual sales reaching 6.34 million units.
The national capital, Delhi, is seeing a significant shift to electric vehicles. In 2021, EVs accounted for 5.6% of car sales in Delhi, the most in India, compared to 1.9% nationwide.
Recently Delhi Govt with the help of WRI has released a Residential EV Charging Guidebook and in this article, we are trying to help you understand why EV Charging Station for Residential Societies is very important.
Charging electric vehicles at home or within a complex is often less expensive and more convenient for residents. According to several surveys, the majority (about 80%) of all EV charging occurs at home, and hence residential charging will be a key component of the future charging environment. According to a survey performed in Delhi’s gated communities, EV charging infrastructure is gaining steam, with 45% of the communities planning to invest in EV charging infrastructure in the next year.
Providing EV charging as a service/amenity to residents will soon become unavoidable, as evidenced by recent revisions in construction bye-laws and the rising uptake of EVs in Delhi. At the same time, giving this luxury upfront will encourage residents to switch to electric vehicles, as a lack of charging choices is one of the main roadblocks to EV adoption.
Benefits of EV Charging Station to builders and property owners:
- The availability of EV charging stations may result in a future increase in property value. An EV charging station is similar to any other amenity that adds value and gives the property a “green” image. Buyers are ready to pay extra for homes with EV charging stations, according to data from nations with higher EV adoption. Additionally, properties with a greater number of EV charging stations in the vicinity sell for more money than traditional properties.
- As electric vehicles become more ubiquitous in the future years, property purchasers will want EV charging as a standard feature. Preparing and installing EV chargers throughout the construction process will save builders the time and money of retrofitting EV chargers later on.
- Because young and educated people are more inclined to purchase electric vehicles, installing EV chargers could help attract new customers.
- The availability of an electric vehicle charging station will aid in attracting and retaining property owners and tenants.
Benefits to resident welfare associations (RWAs)/societies:
- Several societies are implementing environmentally friendly measures such as rainwater harvesting and solar panel installation. As a result, installing EV chargers can help society’s green image.
- Installing EV chargers in public places can help our next generation become more environmentally conscious and adapt to climate change.
Benefits to residents:
- The presence of electric vehicle chargers on the premises of the residential complex can assist EV users in starting their day with a fully charged vehicle, alleviating range anxiety.
- Because the average daily mileage of personal cars in most Indian cities is less than 35 km9, having an EV charging station on the premises can meet the majority of charging demands.
- Residential EV charging is generally less expensive than public EV charging.
- Residents who plan to purchase an electric vehicle in the future may get comfort from the availability of EV chargers.
- EVs have cheaper operating and maintenance costs. These perks will be available to those who switch to electric vehicles.
How to bring EV Charging to residential societies?
Residential societies should start planning their EV charging strategy early on, by encouraging residents to get electric vehicles. When a society has 5-6 electric vehicles, it can place charge stations in the spare or visitor parking lots. Installing community chargers will encourage more people to switch to electric vehicles. All RWAs should encourage people to switch to electric vehicles and work with those who want to install EV chargers for personal usage. EV owners in residential communities can set up charging stations using their current individual power connections.
Residential communities that want to set up communal charging points can follow the steps outlined in this section.
- Create Awareness
- Demand Estimation
- EV Charging Planning
- Infrastructure Planning
- Space Planning and Charger Deployment
- Charger usage Guideline and Maintenance
Govt wants the residential societies to adopt and promote EV and here are possible ways by which this can be done.
- Adopting a community EV charging station that is accessible to all EV owners in society. Residents will have shared access to EV charging at these charging stations.
- Encouraging locals to switch to electric automobiles.
- assisting residents with the installation of private charging points on their property (by granting appropriate licenses).